Synthetrix | Nikki/Vikki (unreleased)




When I was a kid in the 70s, I loved watching the ABC Movie of the Week. Often better than the movies themselves was the cool opening title sequence that used slit-scan optical printing, a technique used by Kubrick in his 2001: A Space Odyssey. This title was accompanied by a lush orchestral theme. Many years later I learned that this theme was actually a song called "Nikki" which Burt Bacharach wrote and named after his daughter from marriage with Angie Dickenson.
Over the Thanksgiving weekend of 2005, I decided to do a cover version tribute of this song. I recorded two versions of "Nikki" and a more Synthetrix-styled remix version I call "Vikki". A tribute to a great songwriter. On a side note, I love the Geico Insurance commercials with Mr. Bacharach singing about getting hit in the rear.
I mailed a cd with these tracks to him, c/o Linda Dozoretz Communications, hoping that he could hear what I had done with his song. Unfortunately, the cd was returned with a letter saying that they could not give the cd to him for legal reasons. Oh well. Sadly, about a year later I read that Nikki, a lifelong sufferer of Asperger Syndrome, had committed suicide.
These recordings remain unreleased.

Comments

Popular Posts